Call for proposals – Media and culture for development in the Southern Mediterranean region

Do you have a proposal that will use street theatre to challenge racism and discrimination in your society? We are looking to fund outstanding street theatre projects focusing on ethnic, religious and linguistic minorities (including refugees). Each project should aim to create profound and vibrant impact whilst also strengthening the capacity of its creators and team. In the framework of the European Union (EU) funded regional programme “Media and Culture for Development in the Southern Mediterranean Region Programme”, Minority Rights Group International, in partnership with the Prince Claus Fund for Culture and Development, the Civic Forum Institute Palestine, and Andalus Institute for Tolerance and Anti-Violence Studies, is currently seeking proposals from artist groups, civil society organizations and companies for the street theatre section of the “Drama, Diversity and Development” project (DDD). DDD is one of three culture projects funded by the EU in the regional programme “Media and Culture for Development in the Southern Mediterranean Region Programme”. It aims to support the efforts of Southern Mediterranean countries’ in building deep-rooted democracy and contributing to their sustainable economic, social and human development, through regional co-operation in the fields of media and culture. It supports activities fostering cultural policy reform and reinforcing the capacity of cultural policy makers, as well as promoting investment and the development of cultural operators’ business capabilities. Creativity is a powerful medium for expressing diverse realities and instigating positive social change. MRG encourages street theatre as a valuable channel of expression for minority rights as well as a tool to encourage dialogue and reflection in communities and society at large. Selected projects, which will last 10 months, will receive funding from€ €35,000 up to €85,000 to cover up to 75% of their budget. The remaining 25% will need to be raised by the applicant as match funding. This program will be implemented in the Southern Mediterranean Region. Please see a possible indication of some relevant minorities per country in the guidelines. – See more at:

News from elsewhere 2014/07/11

Share this article: